Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Never Take A Desktop Computer To Manhattan, Or Ow, My Arms Hurt

So my computer's video card decided to give out the week I moved here. Not fun. After a lovely trip to Best Buy and a four day stay at the Geek Squad Spa, it's all better. After two subway rides from Brooklyn to Chelsea, I am not. Never, ever cheap out and take the subway. Treat yourself and take a cab. Even if you have a direct subway line like me. But it did remind me of carrying monster camera lenses for Disney.

I am now one week into my program. Half of the time I'm in the weeds. My days are filled with small victories tempered by mini-meltdowns and a series of failures. I have not felt this unknowledgeable in years. For someone who has spent a large chunk of their career working as a trainer, it feels strangely limiting and freeing all at the same time.

I also now do dishes 3-4 times a day. Investing in a good moisturizer is key. I have three different kinds. Channeling Daniel-san a bit, too.

Tomorrow I'll cover some of the pastry doughs and tarts I've been working on, but since I've got a lot to cover homework wise tonight, we'll just start with some gingersnaps.

Quick note, all the recipes I get from school are measured out using the metric system (we weigh everything out using a scale). I've converted everything for you stubborn non-converts.

Gingersnaps

150 grams butter (just over 1/2 cup)
400 grams granulated sugar (1 3/4 cup)
2 eggs
160 mL molasses (just over 2/3 cup)
20 mL vinegar (4 tsp.)
525 grams white bread flour (just over 2 1/4 cups)
1 Tbsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. ground ginger
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp. ground cloves
3/4 tsp. ground cardamom

Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar, scraping down the sides of the bowl frequently. Add the eggs, ONE AT A TIME. Add the molasses and vinegar slowly to avoid separating the mixture. Sift together all the dry ingredients and then add them to the creamed butter mixture. Mix just to combine. Form the dough into a flat rectangle; wrap and chill until firm. Divide the dough into small, equal portions (about 20 grams each). Roll the portioned dough into balls and dredge in sugar. Bake the cookies on a sheet pan at 375 degrees for 7 to 10 minutes. The cookies will spread, the sugar crust will crack, and the cookies will begin to firm up in the middle.

Makes approx. 50 cookies.


C is for Cookie, and that's good enough for me.

When I made mine, they didn't flatten out like they were supposed to. They still seemed a bit rounded and domed. However, they still stayed soft and chewy. A simple cookies, but so delicious. Definitely going on the menu when I get my own place.

Until then, wax on, wax off!

No comments:

Post a Comment