Wednesday, February 24, 2010

On Fire And Eating Boldly

Since we're in a student kitchen in New York, space is at a premium. Needless to say, it can get a little crowded in there and it can be a little tough to find counter space. So today, someone left a plastic wrap box on top of a pilot light. It caught on fire. Guess who got to put it out? I wasn't the one who noticed it or was the first one on the scene, but I did get the water. Made for an exciting day and was much more cool than when I decided to set my towel on fire during the practical exam yesterday. Whoops.

So my friend, David, and I have been trying out a series of restaurants around Manhattan. Usually we just do brunch on the weekends, but we decided to branch out and do dinner tonight. We settled on Co., a pizza place started by Jim Lahey, the man behind Sullivan Street Bakery (yet another place I have to go try). They imported a wood-burning oven from Modena that bakes the pizzas at 700 degrees F. I want one.

Still fairly new, the place was packed on a Wednesday night at 8:30. I figured this was a great indicator as to quality, but it would have been nice if I could have been able to hold a conversation with my friend. Although our neighbors on either side were REALLY interesting.

To be greedy and try as many things as possible, we ended up ordering two pizzas and a bowl of soup. The Ribolitta soup was delicious with all the veggies and gave the illusion of me being healthy. Our Popeye pizza did the same (lots of spinach). But we also had another pizza, which I ended up being the most jazzed about, was the Fennel and Coppa pizza. You could barely taste the fennel, but the coppa (aka "gabagool") and lemon zest (yes, it really had it on there) and the blends of cheeses were really great. Not exactly the most immediate choices in pizza toppings, but I can't wait to eat the leftovers.

We also stopped off at Billy's Bakery. David bought me a vanilla daisy cupcake with chocolate buttercream frosting. And sprinkles. It was great, but a little rich for my blood. I think the eating dessert all the time thing is starting to get to me.

On the way back to the subway, we saw the Empire State Building. No matter where you look at in the city, it always looks different. Maybe someday I'll climb it and battle airplanes.

The chameleon itself peaks out amongst the buildings on 23rd and 8th.

2 comments:

  1. wow, two pizzas? That's ambitious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were fairly small. Maybe about 8 inches wide. But super tasty!

    ReplyDelete